Belief in Deity
God is the impersonal life force, consciousness, ultimate truth and reality, the incorporeal, formless cosmic order personified within all people and matter. “God” is all and all are “God.”
Most believe there are no particular incarnations to worship, as all in the universe are embodiments of “God”.
Origin of Universe and Life
The Universe, life, and matter were not created by God but “are” God. The universe and life emerged out of the creative power of the eternal universal life force.
Some believe in continual rebirth–no death–as life is spirit. Some believe that our souls rest for a time before deciding on a new body (or bodies). Heaven and hell are states of consciousness, self-imposed, due to ignorance of “God” as all.
What is “Evil”? – How/Why does it exist?
No original sin, no Satan, and no evil. Most believe people make “mistakes” when they are ignorant of the power of goodness, which is God, within themselves and others. Some believe evil is perpetuated through accumulation of past-life wrongs and spiritual ignorance.
Salvation lies in the realization of oneness with the impersonal life force. Awareness can be heightened through methods that induce altered states of consciousness, e.g., hypnosis, meditation, music.
Spiritual “tools” include crystals, tarot cards, amulets, channeling, astrology. Some believe the salvation of humanity will occur when a critical mass is reached, when people converge in experiencing their oneness with “God”and with each other. This will bring a New World Order or new Planetary Order, resulting in oneness of civilization and one-world government, peace, and harmony.
Suffering is the result of greed, hatred, and spiritual ignorance in a person’s, or humanity’s, past lifetimes, which returns as suffering (karma). Suffering is sometimes viewed as occurring for a specific purpose, to further spiritual growth and learn a life lesson. Suffering is also seen as illusory, in that it results from attachment to bodily pleasure and pain, and only the universal life force within, “God”, truly exists.
Abortion and homosexuality not condemned, as there is no official doctrine. Generally, adherents are supportive of a human’s right to choose.
Other Related New Age Beliefs and Practices
- Belief in “The Shift” or “Critical Mass.”
- Belief in the coming or arrival of the Age of Aquarius.
- The existence of a collective consciousness, “Akasha”, or hive-mind.
- An emphasis on a “Spirit Science” which seeks to unite spirituality with science.
- Strong focus on holistic healing, particularly via modalities of alternative medicine which can include channeling.
- Belief in a personal evolutionary process of awakenings to progress humanity such as Ascension or series’ of Enlightenments.
- Vibration, frequency and resonance each interact with the universe and will cause focused thoughts to manifest when energies are aligned.